Sunday, February 3, 2008

Jatujak Weekend Market

On Saturday, I went to ABAC because I had to print the report for my brother, then I went to The Mall Bangkapi because I had appointment with my friend named Ploy because she begged me to help her about English presentation. When we finished the presentation we saw the movie “American Gangster” This movie is about mafia gang and there is the trial in the final of movie. I thought about my English lesson. After that I went to Central Ramindra because I had appointment with my mother.

On Sunday, I had appointment with my friend named Mo who was my friend since I studied in secondary school. She is my best friend; we did not meet since we graduated high school. We had appointment at Union Mall, 11 o’clock but I arrived on time. I bought a gift for her birthday at Central Ladprow that reason why I arrived on time. We did not meet for long time so we hug around when we met together. Then we had lunch because we waited the shops was open. I brought a dress, it is punk style, it is 440 baht. We thought the shops at Union Mall are very expensive so we decided to go to Jatujak Weekend Market or JJ. It is near Union Mall and Central Ladprow because it links by underground train.







Chatuchak Market owes its origin to Field Marshal Plaek Phibulsongkram, the late prime minister of Thailand (1938-1944, 1948-1957), who came up with the idea of setting up a flea market in every town. As a result, the first flea market in Bangkok was held at Sanam Luang and was called Sanam Luang flea Market. However, there was time when the place was needed for other special functions and the flea market was then relocated to Saranrom Palace and settled there for 8 years. After that, it was moved again to Sanam Chai. But because of the limited space, it had to be moved back to Sanam Luang. In the same year, the government issued a policy to turn Sanam Luang into a public park for citizens of Bangkok and to be the venue to celebrate 200-year-anniversary of Bangkok, which would be held in 1982. Thus, it was decided that the flea market would be held at the Phahonyothin area from then on and it is later called Chatuchak Market after the nearby park under the same name. Jatujak Weekend Market is the mother of all markets and possibly one of the biggest and most famous markets in the world. At Jatujak Weekend Market, there are many sale clothes. Though there are many markets throughout Bangkok, Chatuchak Weekend Market is still pretty much the undisputed king of them all. We walked pass many shops and rested at drink shop, we order strawberry soda; it was 30 baht and tested was good. I brought 3 shorts; it is black, brown and pink, one yellow dress and one waistcoat. Mo brought one purple shorts, 2 t-shirt and 2 dress. I paid for all clothes about 1,300 baht and Mo paid about 900 baht. There are many things that I wanted to buy but I thought it was waste. We separate about 4 P.M., Mo went to her boyfriend’s house and I went back home. It was rain so I was wet until I arrived home, I did not like raining because it was muddy.





No comments: